Monday, October 23

"Yea, it's my sub."

The great thing about New York is that you step outside your apartment, and there are always new faces to see on the streets, in the local food joints, and on the subway. There are always new, different people to talk to. Just now, I met a Haitian lady at the Chinese place around the corner who was mad that her 16 yr old son didn't pick up her phone call. Then she started telling me about her $500,000 house on Long Island, her house in Florida, and her house in Haiti. Everyone's got a story and they're all looking for someone to listen. It's entertaining.

There's this deli next door to my apartment that makes the greatest Philly Cheese Steak sub for $3.50. The only problem is that they take a good 5-10 minutes to grill up.. but it's so worth it. Anyways, I went in there for lunch today and it was kinda empty, but in those 10 minutes, the place got jacked. Like 5 people rolled into this tiny place at once.

So I'm waiting and waiting and my sub finally comes up. I grab it off the counter and this girl, probably in her late teens, is staring like I just grabbed her sub or something. Just glaring. Real intense. So I say something to the effect of, "Yea, it's my sub." And she just blows up.. "Did I SAY something to you?"

"No, but you were lookin'."

And this chick goes off, spouting about how she can look at whatever she whats, who do I think I am to say that to her... on and on. I shrug it off like its nothing, because it was an honest comment. I walk away from her (she's still muttering to herself), pay for my sub and leave. She eventually gets so flustered she walks out of the place.

Mind you, Morningside is not a bad area, but it's still predominantly black. Most people are cool with me being here, but occasionally you get people bugging out at you. It's like she'd never seen an Asian American - one that's educated, speaks perfect English, and talks back. All I thought was that she might've thought that I was stealing her sub when in fact she was just outright staring rudely so I called her out in front of a bunch of people. I got to her so bad that she took off out of embarrassment.

Ah, the joys of button pushing!

No comments: