Saturday, October 7

New York Observations

Walking along 5th Ave towards Central Park, I saw this sticking out of the ground. It's ridiculous looking. Apparently NY commissions public artist installations throughout the city. This particular concept takes an archeological approach. Imagine that you live in a nice white brick apartment building in Manhattan. Now imagine that there's an earthquake and the building sinks completely underground. Life goes on, it gets built over, whatever. A few years later, this same building resurfaces and breaks through the sidewalks of New York. Here is the result. I found it to be a little random myself.



I've noticed there's such a thing as 'New York Mode.' You put a scowl on your face and walk the streets like you own them, nobody else matters, and you are not to be bothered by anybody. It can get so intense that when a girl on the subway sneezes and my Michigander reaction is to tell her 'Bless You,' her face just lights up.

No comments: