Saturday, October 7

Vagabond indeed

After meeting my housing appointments, I set up a move date of October 15, leaving me with a good nine days of extra time to do whatever I may please. So I decided to visit my buddy Alex down in Jaxsonville, Florida. Google maps told me the 850 mile trip from Philadelphia would take 17 hrs and 55 min. For me? 13 hrs and 45 min, and that includes two half hour meal breaks and getting stopped in rush hour traffic!

In Maryland, I'm cruising along at 80mph in the left lane and see a cop tailing me. I go into flip out mode and merge into the middle lane. The cop pulls up next to me and and I'm sweating bullets. He blares his horn for a second to get my attention. I look over and he's making a hand gesture. "Pull over?" I ask. "No, slow down.." Lucky me

I've never heard so many country or church FM stations in my life. The cheapest gas I found was $2.02 in Richmond VA. I hit rush hour through a construction zone in North Carolina. It's stopped for a good half hour, 45 min and I look in front of me, behind me, and next to me, and all I see are these people smoking cigarette after cigarette. It would also be important to point out that this was just outside of Tobaccoville, North Carolina.

Speeding buddies are the best way to get through a long drive. There are people on the highway (like myself) who like to speed but are reluctant to do so on their own. They need a speeding buddy, somebody else who is driving across the state and wants get there fast. It becomes a game. You maintain an 83-90mph agreement and it's follow the leader. If they get stuck behind a couple of slow moving cars, you go around them and take turns being the leader. Its an interesting highway relationship. I stuck with this Explorer from North Carolina all the way down to Georgia. If I were a truck driver, I'd make friends with all the other truck drivers.

My ride gets amazing gas mileage. It takes less than 20 bucks to fill up, taking less than 10 gallons per fill..

No comments: