Friday, November 10

The Interview

So I guess lied when I said I had a job already... they ended up shading out on me. I've had 3 interviews and know I didn't get the first two. I had another interview this past Tuesday.. I feel 50/50 on it. It's a high end residential sink manufacturer start up that has a product launch date of May 2007. There is a lot of work to do... everything from getting an actual functional product into the convention at Vegas to creating brochures, designing a trade show display, to designing a new office. Very demanding and work intensive because of all the outside responsibilities.

This company first put up a job posting in August and I've been speaking with them since then... didn't hear anything since September and got an interview request out of no where. This makes me feel good about my chances. But at the same time, I don't know if I thoroughly convinced them that I can do the job. They've interviewed other newly graduates from Pratt and Parsons whom they didn't like. The vast majority of Industrial Design graduates hope to work for a large consultancy.. they don't want to work for a small start up with 2 other people. I'll admit I'm the same way, but I understand that my skills translate better into a small start up environment and will be more useful there.

Anyhow, there is a lot of responsibility that falls onto an industrial designer. In a nutshell, we're responsible for getting a CAD file out to the manufacturer for mass production. The success and failure of the product (therefore, the company) falls on the designer's shoulders. Because of this, I realize many many companies are risk adverse and want somebody experienced. They do not want to take a risk on a newbie like myself, even though I know I'm more than capable.

This risk adversion is derived from the fact that design programs these days do not do a good enough job producing hireable graduates. On top of this, the creative nature of the profession attracts a lot of people... creating a mix of people who are both meant for this job and others who will never be able to pull it all together. I know I was not hireable straight out of school, I'll be the first to admit it. My experience at UMHS and the Flyclip definately prepared me for this next step.

I think one thing that I've failed to convey in my interviews is a blind, unheeded passion and committment to my potential employer. It's something I don't think I ever will get down pat, only because I will never, ever in my life be fully committed to somebody else's company. I have too many entreprenuerial ambitions for that. But I know what needs to be done at my next interview.

I'm too upfront about myself and my character. I'm too honest about who I am... I tell them 100%, rather than tailoring it to the 60-70% that will relate directly to that specific company. Much time in the interview is about learning about the company. They talk about what they do, where the company is going, and what they need done. At that point, the only thing that I need to be telling them are the specific examples in my work experience and portfolio that demonstrates I can fulfill their needs. Because in the end, it's all about creating that connection with the interviewer - not trying to convice them how smart or talented or potential filled I am. This emotional tie will do much more for my odds in getting the job, even if there is somebody more qualified available.

No comments: