Wednesday, September 27

When I'm just winging it

I love doing things on the fly. When I decided to move out to New York in the beginning of summer, I realized there is only one truth: people are inclined to favor promixity and instantaneous gratification above all else. I cannot even begin to count the number of jobs I've applied to, only to be discouraged and disheartened. Employers seek potential employees who can come into their office at the drop of a hat. If they have to wait a week while you make travel arrangements, forget about it. Of course, there are those who graduate at the top of their class, with an ultra prestigious degree from a top ten university and are flown across the country, suckering them into thinking (insert company name) is the greatest.

But I am not one of those.

I am an Industrial Designer. It is a small and highly competitive industry. The consultancies do not need to recruit talent. The talent comes to knock on their doors night in, night out. I am a talent that hopes to find an open door in New York.

It is a profession that forces engineering, marketing, branding, and management to meet. They shake hands, mingle with ergonomics, usability, and aesthetics, then proceed to belligerantly yell at each other because they have no clue what the other does. It's the industrial designers who listen to all the voices, calms everyone down, and creates a solution. We're the one's who dream up genious ideas (iPod + Nike) and make it happen while turning a profit.

So, I begin my journey. I do not have a place to live, I do not have job, nor do I have transportation to get to New York. However, I do have my back against the wall and fortunately for me, that is when I am at my best... When I'm just winging it.

No comments: