Tuesday, December 12

Education

School has always been a contemptuous point for me. I never liked it. I didn't like the feeling of obligation. I was obligated to attend class. I was obligated to take notes. I was obligated to do the assignments. I was obligated to get good grades.

When I was little, I did well in school because I was smart kid and if I didn't.. well, I heard it from my parents. But somewhere along the way, my parents stopped going to my parent-teacher conferences and stopped looking at my report cards all together. They knew the expectations I placed on myself and trusted that I'd meet them.

When that happened, I began to devalue education on a subconsious level. Maybe it was because I had a problem with authority. Maybe it was because I wanted to break every single rule and stereotype. I don't really know, but I entered college at that level of maturity and never really took it seriously. There wasn't a single semester that I pulled it all together. I simply went through the motions to do just good enough... never exceptional, and never failing. I crammed the night before exams, I pulled last minute all-nighters at the art school, and skipped an endless number of classes.

In spite of all that, somehow I developed a passion for learning. I've always seen myself as an entreprenuer, but since I've moved to NY, I've slowly become extremely committed to my talents as a designer and artist. I can see what path I'm going to take to succeed, and it is one as a designer, artist, and entreprenuer. Never as only one or the other, but as a combination of the three. It also makes me realize how much further I have to go, how much more I have to learn, and that I cannot stop until I learn it all.

No comments: